Skip to main content
Prop 8 - Misunderstanding of words?

The day that Prop 8 was passed (together with Obama becoming the first black president) was described by a writer like the opening paragraph from Charles Dicken's A Tale of Two Cities.."It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..." True, Americans went past race (slight blame on the lingering recession) but they still have a very rigid hold on their view about homosexuality.

"Proposition 8 was a California State ballot proposition that amended the state Constitution to restrict the definition of marriage to a union between a man and a woman. It overrode a recent California Supreme Court decision that had recognized same-sex marriage in California as a fundamental right. The official ballot title language for Proposition 8 is "Eliminates Right of Same-Sex Couples to Marry." The entirety of the text to be added to the constitution was: "Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California."

My opinion about Prop 8? I think they just have to redefine what gay people are asking for. Marriage even in this day and age, still conjures image of religion.. "what God has joined....". I think God (or whatever Deity you believe in) will not frown upon two people who want to spend their lives together in love. Even if biologically they cannot have kids. Does that mean that barren people cannot get married?

I think rather than marriage, gay people are asking to be recognized legally. They want to share properties, have insurance policies for their partners and share the same benefits as hetero-couples. Life partnership as opposed to the term marriage. Ok, let's accept Prop 8 but let's have another law that recognize partners to have the same legal rights as hetero couples.

I am not sure how legality will evolve with the changing times. But it surely will change in the coming years or so. We just have to be patient and wait for the lifestyle to be in the norm.... unti na lang yan.. :)

AMEN!

Comments

jazi said…
"I think rather than marriage, gay people are asking to be recognized legally. They want to share properties, have insurance policies for their partners and share the same benefits as hetero-couples. "

- very well said :) this has also been one of those that we were made to point out in our debate :)
Toni said…
Korak! :) ingat lagi jazi! rock on atty ;)

Popular posts from this blog

A good ending...

At last, there is already a resolution to the settingherfree saga. It took the writer a long time to end it... honestly, I think it's a work of fiction, crafted before valentine's day, to give couple-less individuals a boo-hoo-hoo....

It's just too good to be true... my theory is that it's a creative writing student's thesis or something...

The writer is good... and he has a good imagination. I posted a comment... hope he won't delete it....

Update: He did delete it! So, it's really too good to be true. (Ba't ko sya inaaway? HAHAHA!) I should really get a life... AMEN!

Hello, it's me!

It's been awhile since I have shared something on this space about my thoughts and my life. Well, where do I start? Maybe just like an old good friend, I will try to give you some highlights on the past years when I was not blogging.

The biggest thing that happened to me so far was I got my Australian citizenship. I know right? I know that it may not be a big deal to others but for me, this is something that I have tried to work on for the past 5 years.  My kababayans might say that I am ungrateful, but we cannot discount the fact that with a blue passport from a country like Australia, I can travel to many countries - visa free without immigration officers trying to catch my eye and check if I am planning to do something illegal on their country.

No offense, but every time I stand on the immigration line going into another country, my heart always work double/triple time because I am too anxious to be deported back to my country even if I know that I have the proper visa.

Aside …
The newest Gay Icon - lady Gaga


After Amy Winehouse, we have a new gay icon in Lady Gaga (aka Christina Galera) in tangga.



Find Alma Moreno-neque dance moves! :)

Enjoy!