Skip to main content
"In the presence of her demi-goddess Ms JZ!"

The Book Launch of "Manila Envelope: Dispatches from the End of the world" was held at the Fully Booked bookstore at the Powerplant Mall yesterday - December 8 (yup, the death anniversary of another soul brother, John Lennon, ok, I was born two years prior to his death so I can't say that I am his reincarnation (whew! Blasphemy!) but I think we're connected somehow, fellow Librans unite!)

This book is a collection of essays by by Carlos Celdran, Randy David, Uro de la Cruz, Conrad de Quiros, Lourd De Veyra, David Guerrero, Ambeth Ocampo, James Hamilton Paterson, Ige Ramos, Matthias Urban, Alfred Krip Yuson, and of course, JESSICA Z!

So, coultrophobic clown and I braved the dismal weather and the unusual exit time from our dear office to meet my psychic twin sister (ok, I am in danger of being maimed and slapped a hundred times because of this comment but what the heck I am a book groupie and proud of it!).

Entering the mall I noticed that I liked the smell of its interiors. I also admired the Christmas decos. Not glaringly saying, IT'S CHRISTMAS, but very subtle and tastefully decorated. I hope decorators from our building will take heed.

Fully booked is a BIG bookstore. It's heaven! It has lots of books! But being slightly claustrophobic, the closely situated bookshelves make me uneasy, but still it looks like a sea of BOOKS!

Gerry and I saw her! She has changed! But of course, being avid readers we can't just approach her. We'll wait even if we have to be someplace in an hour because as part of her minions, we are not worthy! We have to let her decide that we do exist.

Here she comes, approaching... what's that? Do we see a smile? Oh no... she's pulling something from her bag... Oh... a pen! Blessed be! She has her own pen! JZ defile our book... please do!

She signed her name, the famous mirror-image technique. She's really talented (when I went home I stood infront of the mirror to see if it's accurate... perfect!
----
I just browsed through the book. It's not a regular book, for one thing it's like a magazine/book in one. It has articles by the contributors, excerpts (noteworthy is the English translation of Chapter 1 of Noli Me Tangere) and some trivia (the Beatles brouhaha during their 1960's concert here in the Philippines).

The pictures are great! Imagine reading the famous "Manananggal" article of Jessica and there it is... a picture of the creature. It a delight to read because of the glossy pages and take note, the book comes with a Manila Envelope!

It's a good book to add to your collection. For me, it's also an introduction to the other great Filipino writers and their myriad writing styles. All in all, a great buy even if you're not a fan of Jessica Z.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A good ending...

At last, there is already a resolution to the settingherfree saga. It took the writer a long time to end it... honestly, I think it's a work of fiction, crafted before valentine's day, to give couple-less individuals a boo-hoo-hoo....

It's just too good to be true... my theory is that it's a creative writing student's thesis or something...

The writer is good... and he has a good imagination. I posted a comment... hope he won't delete it....

Update: He did delete it! So, it's really too good to be true. (Ba't ko sya inaaway? HAHAHA!) I should really get a life... AMEN!
NUMUMS - BAKES AND CAKES





This is our new business venture. Please place your orders just in time for Valentine's!
The Iphone experience

Truth be told, I was happy with my glamorous MMS only phone. I can text, I can call and it's handy. But when I begin my relationship with my Iphone, I am a convert to super moder handheld devices.

I literally don't open my laptop anymore when I am at home. I only need my Iphone to check my emails, facebook, update my twitter, watch videos, podcasts, etc. I don't want to work with documents at home so this is something I find so useful.

I am really at awe with its features (you have to understand that I took a very giant leap in technology). The mere fact that I can check emails and update my calendar are useful features - in a major-major way.

Imagine having the convenience of reading the news, downloading time filler games and of course, there's this useful app - FOOD SPOTTING! It can help you find the nearest bakery, bulalohan, etc.

On the other hand, knowing that this device can be tracked can be spooky! Imagine that it has all of your informatio…