Skip to main content
Old Boy and Nostalgia



I had my first burst of US nostalgia last Saturday morning when I watched the sumptuous movie, "Little Manhattan" with dahon, pogs and kat. The movie was surprisingly good and made a little "kirot" to the heart but not in the cheesy mushy way. The boy in the movie always went around Manhattan on his scooter and every street corner reminded me of the weekend last June when I strolled around New York. Central Park! I loved it! I want to come back, New York, New York!

----------

I also loved the weekend Salcedo Market where dahon took us for breakfast. It reminded me of the market in Minneapolis where I tasted Brats sausage with Congee, Marky and the Concha.

----------

"I am tired of Hollywood movies, please recommend a good movie!", I asked roland the movie critic last week. I wanted an out of the norm movie and as they say, be careful what you wish for and it may come true. I got... "Old Boy"! Oh my gosh, this was made in a "Memento" sort of way in which the ending will twist your brain and in my case I had to find a "happy place" before I go to sleep after I watched the movie.

This was absolutely different from what my latest fare of movies. The shots were so vivid and some of the fight scenes were "computer game-like". The mantra of the main protagonist in the movie was, "Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone." So true, so true....

The thing I absolutely love is how simple and innocent it started and then it became an avalanche in the end! Like Pan's Laybrinth, the end is not that clear. But for me, this is something that I want to have a happy ending. I am still confined by norm with this one. Some things, my psyche cannot take. And this is just one case that I am still dictated by what should be...

In music, books and movie, America is in a draught (no more drugs for insipration). It's time for us to go to our neighbors and within ourselves to find what we are looking for (we have nature in abundance to compensate for drugs for inspiration). I am excited and I am sure I'll get my fill. For our neighboring Asian countries gave us Taoism, Buddhism and "Meteor Garden", we should be alright :)

AMEN!

Comments

rbasmayor said…
Yup, you wished for it, now you have that mind buggling film... Oldboy, when I first saw that, it was like seeing a new animal specie... sobrang unique sa style and very nice sa timing and execution... Marami pang great films like that...

And you are right, American films are so weak nowadays (remaking Euro and Asian films is a sign), only cares about money and nanggagaya para pagdating ng wide release, mukhang authentic yung version nila dahil sa wakas, maraming masa na ang makakapanood...

But still, nothing beats the real thing di ba?

Oldboy, The Edukators, The Lives of Others, My Sassy Girl ... I guess you have to watch the original versions bago i exploit ng Hollywood...

Popular posts from this blog

A good ending...

At last, there is already a resolution to the settingherfree saga. It took the writer a long time to end it... honestly, I think it's a work of fiction, crafted before valentine's day, to give couple-less individuals a boo-hoo-hoo....

It's just too good to be true... my theory is that it's a creative writing student's thesis or something...

The writer is good... and he has a good imagination. I posted a comment... hope he won't delete it....

Update: He did delete it! So, it's really too good to be true. (Ba't ko sya inaaway? HAHAHA!) I should really get a life... AMEN!

Hello, it's me!

It's been awhile since I have shared something on this space about my thoughts and my life. Well, where do I start? Maybe just like an old good friend, I will try to give you some highlights on the past years when I was not blogging.

The biggest thing that happened to me so far was I got my Australian citizenship. I know right? I know that it may not be a big deal to others but for me, this is something that I have tried to work on for the past 5 years.  My kababayans might say that I am ungrateful, but we cannot discount the fact that with a blue passport from a country like Australia, I can travel to many countries - visa free without immigration officers trying to catch my eye and check if I am planning to do something illegal on their country.

No offense, but every time I stand on the immigration line going into another country, my heart always work double/triple time because I am too anxious to be deported back to my country even if I know that I have the proper visa.

Aside …
The newest Gay Icon - lady Gaga


After Amy Winehouse, we have a new gay icon in Lady Gaga (aka Christina Galera) in tangga.



Find Alma Moreno-neque dance moves! :)

Enjoy!